A valley full of adventure!
Nestled between Solang Village and Beas Kund, Solang Valley is at about 13 kilometers from Manali and famous for its stunning views, magnificent glaciers, and snow-capped mountains. This valley famous among the tourists attracts ski fanatics from all around the world. Many people visit this place just to enjoy the pristine view of unparalleled Solang Valley. This magnificence of snow-white looks straight out of a movie with the entire place covered by fluffy, milky white snow especially during the winters. The most splendorous views come with the pure white landscape, clear blue skies, emerald green trees, and magnificent mountains till distances. Winter sports are another attractive feature of this valley besides the picturesque landscapes. Core winters make way for skiing and while the winters ease off a bit you can try zorbing and paragliding. Paragliding is an activity, the beauty of which can be believed only when witnessed. The views as you glide through the open skies are truly indescribable in the valley. Camping is something you must take up to experience a full dose of the pristine beauty of this valley amidst lush green meadows. For the thrill-seekers, there is also Solang Ropeway to enjoy the sweeping views of the valley. Other adventure activities such as quad biking and snowmobiling can also be enjoyed while you are here. Rohtang Pass, The Great Himalayan National Park, and Kothi are some of the interesting places to visit nearby especially if you are on a sightseeing tour with family. You have a number of options to explore whether you are with your friends or family.
Solang Valley, also known as SolangNala is a combination of 2 words Solang and Nullah when broken down, Solang means – ‘nearby village’ and Nullah means “water stream”. It is famous as a ski resort because of the magnificent slopes of the lawn that the valley is comprised of. Over time it gained a reputation as the ski paradise of North India. There are agencies offering courses for learning skiing that can be found across the valley too.
Best time to visit Solang Valley
To enjoy the pristine beauty and unparalleled vistas of this place you must visit the place between April and December in spite of the region being awe-inspiring and magnificent throughout the year. The weather during these months remains pleasant and perfect to take part in the adventure activities. The temperatures also remain ideal for sightseeing activities around the valley and even in Manali.
However, if you are planning to take part in Skiing and other snow-related activities and that is your sole purpose of visiting the region, then it is best to visit the region around December and January, as this part of the year sees a lot of snowfall which will let you derive the most out of the activity.
You must plan a visit to the valley during the month of June, for pleasant weather to enjoy the activity of paragliding. That way you can soak in the mesmerizing views of this place. Anyhow it is best to avoid Solang Valley during Monsoon as you will neither be able to enjoy the activities nor go sightseeing.
How to Reach Solang Valley
By Air- Closest airport to Solang Valley is located at Bhuntar at a distance of about 63km. You can hire a taxi to reach the valley from the airport which must take around a couple of hours to reach the valley.
By Train- The nearest railway station to Solang valley is at a distance of 175 km which is Joginder Nagar Railway Station, from where you can hire a cab or taxi to reach the Valley.
By Road- It is connected by great motorable roads with also a regular plying of buses from Manali to Delhi. You can choose state-run or even private buses to reach Manali from where you can hire cabs or even drive down.
Things to do in Solang Valley
- Paragliding – One of the most fun things to undertake in Solang Valley is Paragliding. There are different stations to jump which are namely a lower and upper station which are also quite reasonable. Do not miss this activity while you are here since the valley is quite known for this activity in specific.
- Camping – Curl in under a sky full of stars inside a comfy and cozy tent which is exactly how camping takes place in Solang Valley. Bonfire under the wide-open sky, group of friends, families or loved ones, walk through the valley, enjoy the views if all these things interest you then try camping in Solang valley.
- Skiing – This is among the popular activities that you must take part and the valley is famous for. This can be enjoyed at various levels, even the beginners and intermediaries can try their hands on since there will be present expert trainers and instructors.
- Zorbing – The child inside you will love this activity of tumbling down the side of a village in a transparent sphere. This is an extremely reasonable activity and the trill it involves provides an unforgettable experience for your life.
- Quad Biking – This is among the activities that are a must-try while you are visiting Solang Valley. This is also the least expensive, you can hire a driver or ride by yourself too.
- Solang Ropeway – Soak in the pristine valley as you take a ride over the picturesque valley in a cabin from a mountain top. You can take this ride which will take you to the top of the valley at a speed of 6 meters per second. It is another reasonable activity you can take up while you are in the region.
- Snowmobiling – This is another popular activity to let your inner child have fun. Float over the snow and enjoy the activity at a reasonable price too.
Attractions near Solang Valley
- Rohtang Pass – This is like a heartland of the state and one of the most popular places to visit in Himachal Pradesh. It is visited by thousands of tourists from across the country. The views of Himalayas are something that cannot be missed, moreover, you can pitch a tent under the stars to enjoy the pristine natural beauty of the place even further. This acts as one of the stunning gateways to the parts of Spiti Valley and Lahaul of Himachal Pradesh. Between May and October, it is the ideal time to visit or even cross the pass.
- Great Himalayan National Park – This national park is actually located in Kullu and a few kilometers away from the valley. It offers an amalgamation of adventure and nature with various activities to take part in such as rock climbing, bird watching, camping, trekking, etc. Great Himalayan National Park is located at a distance of 77km from Solang Valley and is worth a visit.
- Kothi – This is a village at a distance of 5km from Solang Valley which receives a large number of tourist footfalls. This charming village offers you a respite from the hustle and bustle of city life. You can explore the nature trails, enjoy the serene and calm environment of the village, get familiarized with the locals. It is among the most tranquil and offbeat places to visit in the Solang Valley.
Tips while visiting Solang Valley
- Carry appropriate warm clothes as the valley remains cold especially post monsoons and winters. Alternatively, light cotton clothes will suffice in Summers.
- If you are the kind of person who likes capturing moments and beautiful landscapes carry a camera and extra batteries.
- Make sure to check the weather conditions in the valley before you plan the itinerary to visit the region.
- Keep in mind to get a permit if you wish to go ahead to visit Rohtang Pass ahead of Solang Valley.
- Book your packages and hotels beforehand if you are visiting the region during the peak seasons.